7.06.2010

I wish i was her friend.


I discovered Donna Wilson on my first year of a level and her makings literally made my life and influenced so much of my work, explicitly at first and now subtly inching its way in. I found her when i was doing a project entitled freedom and armed with a matchbox of buttons i could make anything. i decided upon these fabric creatures that were my favourite things for a while, until they were dubbed 'silly little creatures' by a teacher and i got a bit put off. They probably are a bit, but now i don't see that as such a bad thing.

I feel it's mainly the core idea of making and crafting that has developed in my practice for the past 5 or so years. With her work i found that whimsy and charm that imperfections have and embracing that rather than forcing my hand to do something that generic and perfect.

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/toys-kids/donna-wilson-creatures-063732
______________________________

Unrelated but my friend Dulcie told me about the Dum Dum Girls and i've pretty much been listening to them on repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment